TAP Clients, Family Members, Friends and Community Supporters:
“This is my favorite time of the year!” We hear this phrase spoken by many individuals as we celebrate the Holidays, share time and make memories with family and friends, and shop for the perfect gift to reflect our feelings about our loved ones. But this time, for me, is also one of reflection on the year past and a pause to appreciate the things I was able to “check-off” this year’s to do list. As the young folks say #goals!
TAP Unlimited set some pretty lofty goals this time last year…and while we didn’t achieve every objective, we will focus on the things we were able to do! Here’s just a few:
- Eight presentations about our work at TAP and the Life Participation Approach to Aphasia we are committed to were accepted and presented by TAP Unlimited Speech Pathologists/Group Leaders at Aphasia Access Conference in March, with Executive Director, Maura Silverman, receiving the Inaugural Innovator Award at this memorable Event.
- Our First Big Grant: TAP Unlimited was Awarded a $25,000 Ribbon of Hope Grant to run Aphasia Connects in a unique partnership with Read and Feed, Inc. This summer program was a HUGE success…check it out: https://vimeo.com/246790237
- Legislative Awareness Day in NC capped off with a visit to the Governor’s mansion for Aphasia Advocacy with Woody Durham and TAP clients/families. A proclamation was ordered for June to be Aphasia Awareness month across North Carolina!
- TAP enjoyed record attendance and engagement at our Signature Event “Flashback Friday” in June. The Silent Auction, Balloon Pop, Wine Wall, music/dancing motivation from DJ Joseph (http://www.topnotchdjservice.com) were all awesome, and the Holderness’ emceeing the event was the icing on the cake! (http://theholdernessfamily.com)
- We successfully held our first 5K run/walk/roll called Strides for Speech in collaboration with Fit and Able, Inc (https://fitandable.net/) and Edge Soccer Programs, Inc. (https://edgesoccerprograms.com/) Check out the album of pictures with this link from our facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/pg/FitandAble/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1469904549730443
- We have just been awarded $20,000 to formally publish and distribute “Princess Crumpet and the Baker of Battertown”… This is a cool training program designed to help children understand aphasia and improve their communication with a parent, grandparent or volunteer that has aphasia! Stay tuned…coming Spring 2018! Check out the cute trailer on our You Tube Channel:
- Our rising to fame music/choral group, the TAPtastics performed on the road with an invitation to the Stroke Survivor Event at UNC / Carolina Inn. They were a smash hit!!
- TAP Unlimited continued it’s expansion into areas in need of services and with open collaborative arms…we added Aphasia Programming in Siler City, with programs now reaching throughout the Triangle, Winston Salem and Pinehurst. More requests for groups received every month too!
- New and existing awesomeness continued within groups to include TAP Into Life where true life participation happens, three book clubs where individuals are returning to reading and a TAPRoots (garden club) that grew 1 ton of food for those in need!
- Your support allowed us to add some programs that will be on the January 2018 calendar including TAPNet (a support group/counseling program), a Yoga/Healthful Living program, and community training programs!!
As I personally savor the opportunity to purchase a new planner, with fresh ink pens and a renewed commitment to organization, time management and self improvement (my favorite topics!), I am excited to apply these New Year tools to TAP Unlimited. But, I am not alone and with confidence and pride, I can say that this TAP family has every intention to make our 2018 goals reality… YOU are center to this…YOUR program, YOUR goals…
Thank you to the incredible team that makes TAP a reality…The Board Of Directors, Committees, Group Leaders, Volunteers and Amy, our Office Manager. It is a sincere pleasure to serve alongside of you! Watch out 2018…here we come!!
Maura English Silverman, MS, CCC/SLP
Founder / Executive Director
A message from our Board Chair, Mr. Ron Ottavio
2017 was an exciting year for TAP, our clients and their families, as we focused on creating increased awareness of our programs and services in the community. Maura has noted many of the 2017 highlights, and when I think back, two of them stand out for me. Governor Cooper declaring June as Aphasia Awareness Month in North Carolina, his moving comments, and heart-felt presentation of the proclamation to Woody Durham is one. And, the other is the great turnout for TAP’s First Annual Strides for Speech event that contributed to its success.
TAP is positioned well for future growth and success in 2018 and beyond. We are very proud of Maura’s leadership as Executive Director and the leadership she has provided over the past year. Her passion for TAP clients and family members is a definite success factor.
Now, how can you help? There are many opportunities to help TAP continue to grow and achieve its mission of serving its clients, their families, and the community. There are volunteer opportunities available. We are seeking additional board members with skills and experience that would benefit the governance and management of the TAP organization. There are committee member positions available on Finance, Marketing, Programs/Service Offerings, and Fundraising. So, it you are looking to serve a growing non-profit, we could use your talent and experience. And, it goes without saying, that your past and future financial support is greatly appreciated and helps us sustain our programs helping clients meet the demands of living with aphasia. Finally, I want to say how proud I am of our clients and their hard work. They are truly inspiring!
The Board of Directors wishes everyone a Happy Holiday Season and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
Board Chair / TAP Unlimited
End of Year Campaign 2017
You have snacked on cookies and cakes at our Holiday Open House, enjoyed the 12 Days of TAP stories and now it’s time for the end of the year ACTION. People all around the country are thinking about their passions and where they want to share their support for the work of their favorite nonprofit organizations. The End of the Year is the time to do it… believe me, come April, you will be glad you did!
Here’s how to help TAP Unlimited:
- A donation can be made online at http://www.aphasiaproject.org/contribute-to-tap/; make a note in the comments about anyone you would like to honor and we’ll provide appropriate acknowledgement of your gift. It’s the best gift for the person who has everything,…or wants to do everything.
- You can mail a donation into our office. Don’t worry, we’ll post it before the end of the year, so mail your donation to: TAP Unlimited, 191 High House Road, Cary, NC 27511
- Join the coolest new club in town…the Ice Breaker Club. This sustainer program helps create communication breakthroughs by providing a monthly donation that automatically drafts to TAP and allows us to continue with the goals we have for the coming year! Learn more here: http://www.aphasiaproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Ice-breaker-club-logo.png
- Do you know that you can make your donation with a simple call to your broker, by donating stock directly to TAP Unlimited! A gift of marketable securities provides donors with TWO tax benefits. A charitable income tax deduction and a waiver of the capital gains tax. It has been noted that donors in higher tax brackets can reduce out of pocket costs by half! Easy to do, just email Maura for our DTC number and Account Info, make a call and you are done!
- Join in the fun… TAP Unlimited has space for your time and talent in many areas…consider Board or Committee service, volunteering in the office or helping on a Communication Support Team.
- Tell someone about APHASIA…unawareness is our biggest barrier. Share our TAP stories, define aphasia for your friends and family members by connecting them to TAP. More awareness, less stigma, less confusion about competence and more access to the world.
- “Like” us on our Facebook Page, submit a review, share, share and more shares!
Thank you for helping TAP help hundreds of individuals with aphasia, their families and the community!